Instructional Assistant Professor
John Mendoza-Garcia received his Ph.D. in Engineering Education from the School of Engineering Education at Purdue University in the United States. He also received a M.S. in Systems and Computing Engineering from the Department of Systems and Computing Engineering at Universidad de Los Andes in Colombia, and a B.S. in Systems (and computing) Engineering from the Department of Systems (and computing) Engineering at Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Dr. Mendoza-Garcia started teaching in 2004. He was faculty at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana from 2005 to 2011 and was the instructor of record in the First-Year Engineering Program at Purdue University, and advisor (instructor) in the Engineering Projects in Community Service (EPICS) program at Purdue University. He also has industry experience working as Information Consultant. Dr. Mendoza-Garcia has extensive experience teaching complementary or non-technical skills to engineering students of different years (freshman to senior), has a solid foundation for understanding students’ learning, and has experience using innovative teaching strategies for promoting students’ design thinking. Dr. Mendoza-Garcia is also committed to supporting faculty in their learning of effective teaching strategies and that is why he has also taught research-based professional development courses. In respect to his research, it focuses on investigating the development of the “Ability to Address Complex Socio-Technical Systems,” a construct that he uses to encompass all the different skills and knowledge that engineers need to succeed in professional practice when developing solutions for Socio-Technical Organizations. Since this construct has components of systems thinking, design thinking and participatory leadership, he is interested in researching and promoting these skills in engineering. He is currently member of the American Association for Engineering Education ASEE and the International Council for Systems Engineering (INCOSE).
- Taleyarkhan, M. Chandan, D., Mendoza-Garcia, J. & Magana, A. Investigating the impact of CAD simulations on students’ design thinking. Journal of Science Education and Technology. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10956-018-9727-3
- Marbouti, F., Mendoza-Garcia, J., Diefes-Dux, H.A. & Cardella, M. E. “Written feedback provided by first-year engineering students, undergraduate teaching assistants, and educators on design project work,” European Journal of Engineering Education, 2017, DOI: 10.1080/03043797.2017.1340931
Journal Papers in Preparation
- Mendoza-Garcia, J., Cardella, M., Oakes, W. A phenomenographic study of the ability to address complex socio-technical systems. Manuscript in preparation to be submitted for publication to the Journal of Engineering Education in spring 2018.
Selected Conference Proceedings
- Liu, G., & Tolbert, D., & Mendoza-Garcia, J. A., & Sriram, A. R., & Cardella, M. E. (2016, June), WORK IN PROGRESS: Quantitative Information Acquisition and Utilization by First-Year Engineering Students. Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, Louisiana. 10.18260/p.27028
- Taleyarkhan, M. R., & Dasgupta, C., & Mendoza-Garcia, J. A., & Magana, A. J., & Purzer, S. (2016, June), Investigating the Impact of an Educational CAD Modeling Tool on Student Design Thinking. Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, Louisiana. 10.18260/p.25485
- Dringenberg, E., & Mendoza-Garcia, J. A., Tafur, M., Fila, N. D., & Hsu, M. (2015, June), Using Phenomenography: Reflections on Key Considerations for Making Methodological Decisions. Proceedings of the 2015 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Seattle, Washington. 10.18260/p.25012
- Mendoza-Garcia J., Cardella M.E., & Oakes W.C. (2014). Identifying the variation of experiences when dealing with problems in complex systems. 2014 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE) Proceedings, Madrid, Spain. 1109/FIE.2014.7044347
- Mendoza-Garcia J., Cardella M.E. (2014). Using Alien-Centered Design for teaching iteration in the design process in undergraduate design courses. 2014 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE) Proceedings, Madrid, Spain. 10.1109/FIE.2014.7044432
- Mendoza-Garcia, J., Oakes, W., Zoltowski, C. & Cardella, M. (2013). Understanding the motivation of instructors to get involved in service-learning environments. 2013 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), Oklahoma City, OK. October 2013. doi: 10.1109/FIE.2013.6684951
- Mendoza-Garcia, J., Developing an instrument to assess student’s prior knowledge and possible interest in public policy courses. Proceedings of the 2013 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Atlanta, Georgia. https://peer.asee.org/19405
- Mendoza-Garcia, J. (2013) Identifying reflective practice in one engineering design meeting. American Society for Engineering Education Ilinois / Indiana Sectional conference. Angola, IN.
- Mendoza-Garcia, J., Ngambeki, I., Behbehani, L., Evangelou, D., Rao, P., Cox, M. (2012).Defining the knowledge and skills that enable engineers to participate in Public Policy. Proceedings of the 2012 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, San Antonio, Texas. https://peer.asee.org/21141
- Mendoza-Garcia, J., Grundman, L., Wang, J., Purzer, S. (2012) Students’ modeling through visual and verbal representations. American Society for Engineering Education Ilinois / Indiana Sectional conference. Valparaiso, IN.
- Mendoza-Garcia, J., Ngambeki, I., Behbehani, L., Evangelou, D., Rao, S. Cox, M. (2012). Literature review of the knowledge and skills that enable engineers to participate in public policy. IL/IN Sectional conference. Valparaiso, IN.
- Fiorillo, G. Mendoza-Garcia J, Fajardo S, Dorado R, Acevedo J, Perez BC. (2010) La ingeniería para el desarrollo regional sostenible: Alianza Universidad y Sociedad. Caso de estudio Fundación Amparo. University and Society Alliance. Santa Marta. Colombia.
- Gomez , Mendoza-Garcia J., Fiorillo G., Acevedo J., Perez B. (2009) Social Project based learning. An strategy to perform Social Responsibility at the University. Annual meeting of engineering faculties – ACOFI. Santa Marta. Colombia P. 173. ISBN: 978-958-680-062-4. Original Title: Aprendizaje Basado en Proyectos Sociales: Estrategia para ejercer Responsabilidad Social Universitaria.
- Mendoza-Garcia J. (2008). A proposal for Social Internships from Systems Engineering. Annual meeting of engineers faculties – ACOFI. Cartagena, Colombia.. P.57. ISBN: 978-958-680-058-7 Original title: Una Propuesta de Prácticas Sociales desde Ingeniería de Sistemas. Reunión Nacional de Facultades de Ingeniería – ACOFI. Cartagena, Colombia.
- Mendoza-Garcia J. (2007). UE Alliance: Creating learning environments between University and industry. III meeting of Professional Internships. University of the North. Barranquilla, Colombia. Original title: Alianza UE: Generando espacios de Aprendizaje entre la Universidad y la Empresa. III Encuentro Nacional de Prácticas Profesionales. Universidad del Norte. Barranquilla.
- Mendoza-Garcia J. (2006) Critical Analysis of the change management process in the graduation projects at the Systems Engineering Program. Learned lessons. II meeting of Systemic Latinoamerican practices. Latinoamerican Systemic Alliance – ALAS. Ibagué. Colombia. Original title: Análisis Crítico del Manejo del Cambio en el Proceso de Trabajos de Grado para la Carrera de Ingeniería de Sistemas de la Pontificia Universidad Javeriana. Lecciones aprendidas. II Encuentro de Prácticas Latinoamericanas en Sistémica. Alianza Latinoamericana de Sistémica – ALAS. Coruniversitec. Ibagué.
SELECTED HONORS AND AWARDS
Purdue University. College of Engineering. Graduate School. Summer Research Grant. June-August 2015.
Purdue University. School of Engineering Education. Bisland dissertation fellowship. 2014. Program Nominee.
Universidad de los Andes, Colombia. Honors Degree. Magister en Ingeniería de Sistemas y Computación. Bogotá. 2004.