HWCOE Buildings and Information

 

 

HWCOE Buildings & Information

 

The Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering has over one million gross square feet of facilities. Approximately 75% of the space is assignable square footage utilized for research, administration, classroom, and conference space. Most of this space is located on UF’s main campus. The locations of the Engineering buildings that reside on the main campus are in three general areas, typically referred to as:

  • North Campus (South of Stadium Rd and North of Museum Rd)
  • South Campus (South of Museum Rd and North of UF-Health/Shands)
  • Surge Area (South of Performing Arts Center and North of Archer Rd.)

The HWCOE also has 25 other buildings and facilities located off-campus that include the following locations:

  • East Campus (Located on Waldo Road at 23rd Ave intersection)
  • Solar Park (South of Archer Rd on SW 23rd Terrace)
  • Coastal Lab (Located on 6th street, South of Depot Rd)
  • REEF Lab (Located in Shalamar, FL adjacent to Eglin Air Force Base)

Click on the photos below to view more information about some of our more prominent buildings and facilities.

 

Photo of Black Hall

Black Hall

Bldg. 0724
Campus Location 1128 Center Dr. Gainesville FL 32611 Campus Map: Click Here

 

Building No.
0724
Year Built
1967
Full Building Name
Alvin P. Black Hall
Building Abbreviation
BLK
Levels
4
Rooms
110
Gross Square Footage (GSF)
37,307
Net Assignable Square Footage (NASF)
19,603
Departments in Building
* ESSIE
* CHE

Historical Naming
Dr. Black joined the faculty at UF in 1920 as an Assistant Professor of Chemistry. He later became the department head. He was a pioneer in the field of water chemistry. He became a leader in Florida’s water industry. He was one of the original founders of the firm Black, Crow, and Eidsness, which became a part of CH2M Hill in 1977.