The University Scholars Program introduces undergraduate students at the University of Florida to the exciting world of academic research. In the program, students work one-on-one with UF faculty on selected research projects. Through this initiative, students will take away an understanding of and appreciation for the scholarly method. Selected students receive a $1,750 stipend split between the fall and spring terms. The program will consist of undertaking a full research project primarily during fall and spring semesters of the academic year, under the guidance of a faculty member. The University Scholars Program serves as an exceptional capstone to the academic careers of UF students.
Eligibility & Requirements
- All undergraduate engineering students in good academic standing are eligible for consideration.
- Preference may be given to students considering engineering graduate school masters and/or Ph.D. programs at UF or elsewhere. Students with a minimum 3.50 cumulative undergraduate GPA align with Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering Ph.D. graduate admissions standards. Students with a minimum 3.00 GPA meet UF minimum graduate school admission criteria and Master’s degree potential selection.
- Preference may be given to students with Junior or Senior status. (If you’re a Freshman or Sophomore, click here for information on the Emerging Scholars Program)
- For the 2019-2020 University Scholars Program, students will conduct research during the 2019-2020 academic year via Fall, Spring, and/or Summer terms (you must not earn your bachelor’s degree before May 2020).
Application & Selection
- Students apply for the University Scholars Program through the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering Undergraduate Research Application. There is a section on the application to indicate if you have interest in the University Scholars Program.
- Follow all remaining application and selection criteria.
- Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering faculty determine all final selections for undergraduate student research positions. Faculty have the option to nominate selected students to the HWCOE Director of Undergraduate Research for University Scholars consideration. Final decisions will be made with every effort to allocate available positions across all engineering departments.
October 1 to January 25, 2019 – students apply for University Scholar positions
February 8, 2019 – Faculty Nomination Deadline
February 25, 2019 – Student Selection Deadline and Notification
- Must attend an orientation session at the Undergraduate Research Symposium on April 4, 2019.
- Must register for ENG 4912.
- Participate in undergraduate research for 2-3 consecutive terms: Summer 2019/Fall 2019/Spring 2020 or Fall 2019/Spring 2020
- Will receive a $1,750 stipend disbursed in two phases: $750 for fall 2019 in September 2019 and $1,000 for spring 2020 in April 2020.
- Complete all prescribed requirements per the UF Center for Undergraduate Research at http://cur.aa.ufl.edu/ (i.e. research papers, journal submissions, publications, etc.).
- Present at the 21st Annual UF Undergraduate Research Symposium, TBD March 2020.
Director, Undergraduate Research
427 Yon Hall
University of Florida
Director of Undergraduate Research
379 Weil Hall
Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
University of Florida
University Scholars Program
National Conferences on Undergraduate Research (NCUR)
National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates