1) SURF participants for summer 2019 must be Junior or Senior level undergraduate students graduating with a bachelor’s degree between December 2019 through August 2020 (some Colleges may elect to invite Sophomore/Junior students).
2) U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents.
3) Minimum 3.50 cumulative undergraduate GPA.
4) Priority consideration for all SURF positions are given to students with serious intentions to enroll in a University of Florida Ph.D. program for the fall 2020 term (at UF students can apply to a Ph.D. program directly from the completion of their bachelor’s degree. A master’s degree is achieved in route to the Ph.D.). The University of Florida agrees to provide Ph.D. application fee waivers to all SURF participants. All 2019 SURF participants are required to apply UF Ph.D. beginning with the fall 2020 term.
5) In the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering preference for SURF selection will be given to students who attended the 2018 Junior Preview.
6) Complete the SURF online application including your preferred faculty/research projects of interest, resume, unofficial transcripts, statement of Ph.D. interest at UF, optional letters of recommendation.
7) Students should not be enrolling in any classes while participating in SURF. You will be committed to full time summer research at UF (i.e. 40+ hours a week), GRE test prep course (pre-test, classes for 2 hours each twice a week, sample tests, post test), weekly luncheon seminars, social events, and any additional faculty mentor requirements all in a short 10 week timespan.
8) SURF is a residential program at UF in Gainesville. All participants are required to live in UF residence halls and cannot daily commute to campus. However, students within a couple of hours drive to Gainesville are permitted to have a car throughout the summer with a UF parking permit.
- October 29, 2018 – SURF application open
- December 14, 2018 – SURF application deadline (preference will be given to those who apply sooner; spots may fill up prior to the application deadline; individual Colleges have the option to extend application deadlines into January 2019)
- December 2018 to January 2019 – UF faculty review of applications, selection decisions and student notification of offers; some Colleges may opt to send official SURF offers sooner
- February/March 2019 – potential late SURF offers
- May 25, 2019 to August 2, 2019 – 10 week SURF program