Changing Major: Changing Your Major

Changing to an engineering major

Students who want to pursue a major offered through the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering should meet with an Academic Advisor to determine eligibility for their intended program of study. Students are required to be “on-track” for the prospective major. Biomedical Engineering requires a separate application.

First Year students should see an Academic Advisor in the Center for Student Excellence in 204 Weil Hall to discuss eligibility. Students who are in their second year or beyond should meet with an Academic Advisor in the major department.

Guidelines for engineering majors
  • Students are required to successfully complete all critical tracking courses by the end of their fifth semester.
  • Students are expected to graduate in eight Fall/Spring semesters
  • Exceptions to the eight semester timeline to graduate can be made for study abroad and internships taken during the regular academic year.

Changing to a major outside of engineering

Students currently classified as engineering majors who plan to change to a major outside of engineering should meet with an Academic Advisor in their intended program. Students who are in good academic standing but who do not meet the requirements for their new major may be allowed one semester of courtesy registration to get on-track for their new major. In this situation, the student must meet with his/her engineering Academic Advisor for approval. In certain cases, a college petition may be required.