Finances & Scholarships
Many people think that studying abroad is beyond their reach because it is too expensive. But if proper planning and research is done beforehand, the cost of studying abroad may not cost more than spending a semester in Gainesville. There are ways to finance your experience through financial aid, and/or scholarships.
You can be eligible for financial aid for study abroad for all types of programs. For UF students, a budget with cost of program will be sent to Student Financial Affairs after completing Financial Aid questionnaire during online application.
- Florida Bright Futures
- For fall, spring and academic year programs
- Now available for summer term!
- Florida Prepaid
- All semesters, including summer
- Federal grants and loans
Office for Student Financial Affairs strongly encourages visiting the SFA study abroad financial aid adviser Allison Costa to explore your funding options.
Information on study abroad and financial aid can be found at: http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/process/additional-information/study-abroad/
- The Daniel Sinclair Bredahl Scholarships
- Awards are given for fall semester or academic year programs.
- To be eligible for an award, students must be studying abroad for at least 90 days.
- The fall semester scholarships award $2,000 each. The academic year scholarship awards $4,000.
- Qualifications for all Bredahl Scholarships
- UF undergraduate student currently enrolled with successful completion of one academic year of study
- At least 18 years of age
- GPA of at least 3.0
- United States citizen or legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- Eligibility for an academic year or semester study abroad program
- Website: http://ufic.ufl.edu/BredahlScholarship.html
- The Sones Scholarship
- To provide an opportunity for UF students to earn academic credit towards their degree in an environment which also provides immersion in French culture and/or language.
- Open to UF undergraduates with a minimum of 2.5 GPA who seek to undertake courses in their major or minor thru study abroad in France on a UF approved, credit-bearing, exchange, or provider program.
- Students who elect to participate in a credit-bearing research project in a French institute are also eligible to apply.
- Selected Sones Scholars will be awarded up to $5,000 for a semester program and up to $ 2500 for a summer program.
- UF International Center Scholarships
- Students studying for a semester or academic year on either a UF Sponsored or UF Approved program.
- Students applying for Fall/Spring must be studying abroad for at least 90 days.
- Academic Year Scholarships are for $2,000 while semester scholarships are for $1,000
- UFIC Summer Scholarships
- Students who are attending UF Sponsored summer programs
- Summer scholarships award $ 1,000 each
- UFIC Summer Merit Scholarships
- Awarded to students with a minimum of 3.5 GPA
- Attending UF Sponsored or UF Approved Summer programs
- Each of the scholarships is for $1000
- Wentworth Honors Scholarships
- Designated for Honors students
- Each of the scholarships is for $1000
- Irene Phillips Alliance Scholarships
- Designated specifically for Alliance Scholars
- The number and amount of awards vary
- These scholarships are available for both the summer and semester terms
- Learning without Borders Study Abroad Scholarship
- Scholarships will be awarded to students who are Pell Grant recipients attending UF Sponsored summer programs.
- To be considered, eligible students should select “Pell Grant recipient” in the drop-down menu within the UFIC Summer Scholarship application.
- Institute of International Education (IIE) Study Abroad Funding
- Hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
- Open to US citizen undergraduate students
- Provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.
- Preference will be given to students who participate in language study that will enhance their ability to engage with the host culture.
- Asia Institute International Engineering Program Scholarships
- Scholarships of $1000 to engineering students participating in a global learning opportunity in Asia
- Can be short-term program, semester/year abroad, international research, or international internship in Asia.
- Diversity Abroad Summer Scholarship
- The Diversity Abroad Network “Diversity Network” will offer summer scholarships in the amount of $1,000 for full-time undergraduate students attending a member institution.
- Diversity Abroad & CISI Planning Scholarship
- Scholarships of $1500 each to help students plan their study abroad program.
- The students do not need to have selected a study abroad program at the time of receiving this scholarship.
- Eligibility requirements: -Must demonstrate financial need (as demonstrated by your FAFSA) -Must be a freshman, sophomore, or junior at the time of application -Preference given to students who have not studied abroad before -Students of diverse and underrepresented backgrounds encouraged to apply
- Ernst Mach Grant
- For undergraduates/graduates studying for one semester/year at an Austrian University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule)
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Scholarship for study or research in Germany
- Germany Universities of Applied Sciences (UAS7)
- Scholarships for study or internships in Germany in Berlin, Bremen, Cologne, Hamburg, Munich, Münster, and Osnabrück.
- BUTEX Scholarship
- For study in the United Kingdom at one of the member universities: List of Members
- UF partners: Cardiff University, University of Leeds, University of Leicester, University of Sheffield,
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Eligible student must be US citizen or PR
- Must be applying for a study abroad program eligible for UF credit for more than 4 weeks
- Database of study abroad scholarships
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- FGS invites applications from any level of student with a 2.5+ GPA who is planning to participate in a program abroad, including for a short-term/summer, semester, or year abroad, or a service-learning, internship, or research experience.
- In addition to the general Foundation for Global Scholars Scholarship, the Foundation awards Financial Need Scholarships (for Pell Grant recipients), STEM Scholarships (for students majoring in the sciences, technology, engineering, or math), and Ethnically Diverse Student Scholarships. Application does not require letters of recommendation, just one essay.
- H. J. Klein Foundation
- The objective of the H. J. Klein Foundation is to sponsor international exchange by granting scholarships to students for a stay abroad. Support is granted to students of all specialist fields who have shown proven commitment/ involvement in fostering international exchange
- Program duration: 1 semester, max 1 year
*The list of external scholarship opportunities is not endorsed by the college or university. Students are strongly encouraged to do their own research and planning.