Summer C: May 16 – July 25, 2023
About the program
UF in Ireland: Global Culture and Internship abroad program is organized by Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to increase student engagement in international experiences through a unique study tour and internship program for all engineers.
This program will take place in Dublin and Galway to leverage Ireland’s strong position in engineering entrepreneurship and innovation hub.
Students will participate in professional development, cross-cultural communication and technical competencies seminars to prepare them for a fruitful internship experience. Students will also participate in a myriad of cultural activities related to Irish culture, history, arts, and engineering industry.
Students will develop cultural proficiency, business acumen, learn about career trajectory pathways as well as the impact of engineering solutions on a global society.
Professional Internships: Professional Internships are directed work-study experiences taken in companies and industry sectors. Working as an intern enables students to connect theory with practice and apply the engineering and scientific principles learned in the classroom to a real-world professional environment. Completing an internship abroad is an invaluable opportunity to learn about local business and engineering practices and customs, hone personal and professional skills and habits, and broaden perspectives. Internships are unpaid positions taken over a period of 8 weeks (minimum 200 hours).
Dublin is the capital and largest city of Ireland. Dublin is a historical and contemporary centre for education, the arts, administration and industry. Companies such as Microsoft, Google, Amazon, eBay, PayPal, Yahoo!, Facebook, Twitter, Accenture and Pfizer now have European headquarters and/or operational bases in the city, with several located in enterprise clusters like the Digital Hub and Silicon Docks. The presence of these companies has driven economic expansion in the city and led to Dublin sometimes being referred to as the “Tech Capital of Europe”. Dublin is home to many exceptional universities such as Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, and Dublin City University.
Galway is located in the west of Ireland and the 4th most populous city in Ireland. In 2018, Galway was named the European Region of Gastronomy and in 2020, it was designated the European Capital of Culture. Galway is home to University of Galway with various research clusters focused on biotechnology, biomedical engineering, environmental engineering, climate studies, and many more. Galway has a booming technological industry scene, with many companies having their regional offices here, such as Boston Scientific, Medtronic, EA Games, Cisco, and SAP AG.
- Working as an intern enables students to connect theory with practice and apply the engineering and scientific principles learned in the classroom to a real-world professional environment.
- Completing an internship abroad is an invaluable opportunity to learn about local business and engineering practices and customs, hone personal as well as professional skills and habits; and broaden perspectives.
- Working in an international environment gives students the opportunity to cultivate cross-cultural communication skills and leadership abilities to thrive in the professional world
Faculty leader: Dr. Sophie Spratley
- EGN 4932 Engineering in a Global Context
- EGN 4949 Engineering Internship
Total Number of Credits Offered: 6 UF GPA Credits
Social and Cultural Activities
- Dublin city tour
- Guinness Storehouse
- National Museum of Ireland
- National Gallery of Ireland
- Kilmainham Gaol Museum
- Trinity College, Dublin
- Croke Park
- EPIC Irish Emigration Museum
- Phoenix Park
Students will be placed with homestay families in Dublin and in Galway with another UF student. Program fee includes housing fees.
Summer C: May 16 – July 25, 2023
Application deadline: Feb 11, 2023 (spaces may fill up before the deadline)
- Sophomore and above preferred
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Open to all majors
Program Fee for 2020
- UF deposit: $425
- Program Fee: TBD
- Includes housing, airport pickup, local transportation, excursions, insurance & students fees, academic course and internship placement
- Complete the UF International Center application
- Submit the Academic Advising Form
- Pay the $425 non-refundable deposit
- Ping Neo, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director, International Engineering Programs
- Dr. Sophie Spratley, email@example.com