K-12 Experiential Learning
Mission of the Apprentice Program
The mission of the Office of Student Transition and Retention (STAR) K-12 Apprentice Program is to partner with K-12 schools in order to offer early engineering experiential learning experiences to 11th and 12th grade students.
The STAR Office has partnered with P. K. Yonge Developmental Research School to expand opportunities of students registered for a one semester internship class.
Goals of the Apprentice Program:
To provide high school students with experiential learning opportunities that promote
- Working on Engineering and Design projects that are based on real world applications
- Increasing high school student access to University of Florida faculty, staff, and students as mentors
- Providing opportunities for students to work on research project developed at University of Florida
- Gaining experience working in a professional environment
- Participating in K-12 Engineering outreach opportunities that allow them to give back to students who are discovering engineering in our K-12 Outreach Programs