Gator Engineering at Santa Fe
The Gator Engineering at Santa Fe program, a collaboration between the University of Florida (UF), the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, and Santa Fe College, is an innovative B.S. engineering degree program. This program allows a cohort of students to begin their coursework at Santa Fe College, gain admission to UF as early as their first spring semester, continue coursework at Santa Fe for two more semesters (or until completion of all math and science critical tracking courses), and then matriculate to UF campus to complete their courses in their major.
What is Gator Engineering?
Interested in the Gator Engineering at Santa Fe program, but want to know more about Gator Engineering first? Click here to read why you should major in engineering, and why you should become a Gator Engineer.
Degree programs participating in the 2017-2018 academic year:
- Department of Computer & Information Science & Engineering: Computer Science (CSE) and Digital Arts and Sciences (DAS)
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering: Computer Engineering (CpE) and Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences: Environmental Engineering (ENE)
- Department of Materials Science & Engineering: Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) and Nuclear Engineering (NE)
Students are evaluated for this program after first being considered for freshman admission to UF. Only students who have applied through the freshmen admissions process and who have met the freshmen application deadline of November 1st are considered for invitation to this program. Students must declare one of the participating degree programs as their intended major to be considered for the Gator Engineering at Santa Fe program.
Why Gator Engineering at Santa Fe?
Gator Engineering at Santa Fe program students have unique experiences that closely bond them to each other, to the UF campus, and to their chosen field of study, even during their first semester before admission to the University of Florida. Participating in this program is a badge of honor visible to the surrounding UF community and to our Gator Engineering external partners, including employers and alumni.
Advantages for students participating in Gator Engineering at Santa Fe include:
- A close connection to the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
- A supportive cohort of fellow students in the program
- Smaller class sizes
- Access to advisors from both Santa Fe and UF as well as to academic advisors and career coaches in the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering Center for Student Excellence
- Exposure to potential employers and engineering faculty through information sessions and seminars
- Interaction with engineering faculty who present their research areas, and opportunities to apply for and pursue undergraduate research
- An engineering design and programming class developed just for this program and taught by a UF engineering faculty member
- Access to many UF services once admitted as a UF student as early as after the first fall term
- Access to the UF@SF Center, a hub for UF on the Santa Fe campus
- Participation in Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering events such as the Engineering New Student Welcome
- Participation in many of the UF student organizations (once admitted to UF)