Gator Engineering at State College of Florida
The Gator Engineering at State College of Florida program, a collaboration between the University of Florida (UF), Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering (HWCOE), and State College of Florida (SCF), is an innovative B.S. engineering degree program with a focus on information technology/computer science related degree programs. This program allows a cohort of students to begin their coursework at the SCF Venice campus, gain admission to UF as early as their first spring semester, continue coursework at SCF for approximately two more semesters (or until completion of all critical tracking courses), and then move to the UF campus to complete their courses in their major.
This program includes an element of promoting live-learn-work experiences (e.g., co-ops and internships) with companies in Sarasota and surrounding regions to increase the pipeline of local residents into the HWCOE computer Science and information technology programs and then back into the community’s innovation ecosystem.
What is Gator Engineering?
Interested in Gator Engineering at State College of Florida, but want to know more about the program, Gator Engineering, and engineering as a career? Click here to read why you should major in engineering, why you should become a Gator Engineer, and why you should choose this program.
Degree programs participating in the 2017-2018 academic year:
- Department of Computer & Information Science and Engineering: Computer Science (CSE) and Digital Arts and Sciences (DAS)
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering: Computer Engineering (CpE) and Electrical Engineering (EE)
How to apply to Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF)?
Students are evaluated for this program after first being considered for freshman admission to UF. Only students who have applied through the freshman admissions process and who have met the freshman application deadline of November 1st are considered for invitation to this program. Students must declare one of the participating degree programs as their intended major to be considered for the Gator Engineering at State College of Florida program.
Advantages for students participating in Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF) include:
- Guaranteed admission to the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering at UF (contingent on meeting the program requirements)
- A close connection to the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
- A supportive cohort of fellow students in the program
- Smaller class sizes
- Access to a dedicated academic advisor from the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering and a dedicated academic advisor from State College of Florida
- Exposure to potential employers and engineering faculty through information sessions and seminars
- Exposure to potential employers based in Sarasota and surrounding regions through co-ops and internships
- Interaction with engineering faculty who present their research areas and opportunities to apply for and pursue undergraduate research
- Access to many UF services once admitted as a UF student as early as the first spring semester
- Participation in Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering events such as the Engineering New Student Welcome
- Participation in many of the UF student organizations (once admitted to UF)
To learn about even more opportunities available to Gator Engineering at State College of Florida students, visit our links on Undergraduate Research, Study Abroad, Internships, and Student Organization Activities.