Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF)
The Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF) program, a collaboration between the University of Florida Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering and State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota (SCF) is an innovative way to earn a bachelor’s degree in engineering from the University of Florida and is made possible through the generosity of the Charles and Margery Barancik Foundation.
This program allows a cohort of students to begin their coursework at SCF on the Venice campus, gain admission to UF as early as their first spring semester, continue coursework at SCF for approximately two more semesters (or until completion of all critical-tracking courses), and then move to the UF campus to complete their courses in their major. This program includes an element of promoting live-learn-work experiences (e.g., co-ops and internships) with companies in Sarasota and surrounding regions to increase the pipeline of local residents into the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering programs and then back into the community’s innovation ecosystem.
What is Gator Engineering?
Interested in Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF), but want to know more about the program, Gator Engineering, and engineering as a career? Click here to learn more.
Degree programs participating in the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Department of Computer & Information Science and Engineering: Computer Science (CSE) and Digital Arts and Sciences (DAS)
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering: Computer Engineering (CpE) and Electrical Engineering (EE)
How to apply to Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF)?
Students are evaluated for this program after first being considered for freshman admission to UF. Only students who have applied through the freshman admissions process and who have met the published freshman application deadline (typically November 1st) are considered for invitation to this program. Students must declare one of the participating degree programs as their intended major to be considered for the Gator Engineering at State College of Florida program.
Advantages for students participating in Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF) include:
- Guaranteed admission to the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering at UF (contingent on meeting the program requirements)
- A close connection to the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
- A supportive cohort of fellow students in the program
- Smaller class sizes
- Access to a dedicated academic advisor from State College of Florida and a dedicated academic advisor from the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
- Exposure to potential employers and engineering faculty through information sessions and seminars
- Exposure to potential employers based in Sarasota and surrounding regions through co-ops and internships
- Interaction with engineering faculty who present their research areas and opportunities to apply for and pursue undergraduate research
- Access to many UF services once admitted as a UF student as early as the first spring semester
- Participation in Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering events such as the Engineering New Student Welcome
- Participation in many of the UF student organizations (once admitted to UF)
How to get more information?
To learn more about the program and the opportunities that are available to Gator Engineering at State College of Florida (SCF) students, please attend one of our information sessions or visit the links below.
Coordinator, Gator Engineering at State College of Florida