Suggestions for Engineering Design: Mousetrap Car and Water Bottle Rocketry
If you are like most SECME programs, you have students preparing for more than one competition. Below you will find a suggested timetable. You will need to use your judgment based on your student’s grade level and how often your program meets.
- Supplies: Order needed supplies 1-2 weeks before your first meeting
- 1 Meeting: Show presentation(s) to the students. Students should take notes and record ideas. It is okay to revisit the presentation whenever needed.
- 1-2 Meetings: Review Competition Guidelines, especially the formulas (discuss the formulas and how they impact design)
- 1 Meeting: Research and brainstorm for information and ideas
- 1 Meeting: Select 2-3 design ideas and start building
- # Meetings (use the best judgment): Brainstorm, test, collect & analyze data, and make conclusions.
- 3-15 Meetings: Have fun! Introduce other similar ideas like rocket cars, solar cars, stomp rockets, etc
- 1-2 Meetings: Decide on and build the final design.
- Suggestion: Invite volunteer mentors to work with students (from university, industry, etc.)
- 1-5 Meetings: Begin writing Technical Report and work on Technical Drawing.
- Have students closely review Guideline details! They want to get the most points in each section.
- Ongoing: Submit required forms (permission slips, field trip, chaperone, etc.). Make due dates for yourself.
- 1 Meeting: Submit Technical Reports
- 1-2 Meetings: Prepare student teams for judges’ interviews, if applicable.
Enjoy the competition knowing your student team is well prepared!