- UF Engineering Professor Emeritus and Alumna Recognized by Florida Inventors Hall of Fame June 9, 2021
A University of Florida professor emeritus in materials science and engineering who developed an innovative computer chip manufacturing process, and an alumnus in electrical and computer engineering who is a leader at IBM in the application of artificial intelligence to aging issues, are among the 2021 inductees to the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame.
- How a Robot Developed at UF Could Help First Responders See Through Walls During Rescues June 9, 2021
A University of Florida research team led by Eric Jing Du, Ph.D., a professor of civil and coastal engineering, is working on a robot dog that has the ability to enter an enclosed space, scan it, and provide humans with a visual of what’s inside, an application that could lessen dangerous situations for first responders.
- Orchard Tech, founded by UF Engineering alumna, helps seniors be savvy January 4, 2021
Ming Yang, a UF computer engineering alumna, got backing from the UF Engineering Innovation Institute and won second place in its “Big Idea” competition to found Orchard Tech.
- FLIR Systems Acquires Altavian, Inc. December 16, 2020
A former Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering student startup, Altavian, was recently acquired by FLIR Systems, Inc. FLIR Systems is a world-leading technology company focused on intelligent sensing solutions for defense and industrial applications. Founded by Engineering Innovation Institute alumnus, Thomas Rambo (BSAE ’10; MS ’12), and Thomas Reed (BSAE ’10; MS ’12), Altavian is ...
- HWCOE’s researcher Honored at Virtual Standing InnOvation Event (UF Innovate) September 25, 2020
Mark Tehranipoor, Ph.D., Intel Charles E. Young Preeminence Endowed Chair Professor in Cybersecurity in the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, and director of FICS, leads a team of hardware and software engineers who have developed a superior reputation for securing electronics for government and industry. Dr. Tehranipoor received recognition at the virtual Standing InnOvation Awards for ...
- Engineering alumnus seeks a 3D map of the world July 8, 2020
UF alumnus Amir Rubin (B.S. ECE’03) is a serial entrepreneur. As the CEO of Paracosm, a company which he founded, he is leading the development of computer vision and simultaneous-localization-and-mapping (SLAM) technology that is making the next generation of 3D scanning tools possible. Rubin’s vision is to use these tools to someday produce a 3D ...
- ELI and EII Soar Past Goals for Academic Year 2019-2020 June 30, 2020
The Engineering Innovation Institute made a 22% increase in student enrollment from last year, comprising 642 undergraduate and 192 graduate students. In addition, this past year saw 2,160 unique combined student enrollments (Innovation and Leadership Institutes) in the curricula offered, continuing a ~30% annual enrollment growth rate for the two Institutes since inception. The growth ...
- Feathr, UF Engineering Alumnus-Founded Startup, Soars Into 2020 With $11M Investment Boost February 6, 2020
Originally published on UF Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering News.
Feathr, a digital marketing platform built specifically for the needs of associations and event organizers, has closed a Series B financing totaling more than $11 million. Aidan Augustin was an industrial and systems engineering student at UF when he attended a national networking event and was ...
- Q & A with Matt Bellman, Ph.D, Myolyn Co-founder and CTO September 4, 2019
Recently, Dr. Melissa White, one of the UF Engineering Innovation Institute’s lecturer and mentors sat down with Dr.Matt Bellman, a Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering Alumnus and co-founder of Myolyn, a fast growing startups in Gainesville, Florida for a quick Q and A session.
Q: How did the Engineering Entrepreneurship course prepare you in your entrepreneurial ...
- UF Engineering Alumna Helps Older Adults with New Technology August 2, 2019
UF Engineering Alumna Helps Older Adults with New Technology