History of the College
The College of Engineering was established in 1910 with undergraduate programs in civil, electrical and mechanical engineering. Graduate programs were added in 1928. Founding Dean John R. Benton served until 1930.
Beginning in 1937, Dean Joseph Weil guided the college through two and a half decades of tremendous change – including a postwar surge in enrollment and the creation of the Engineering & Industrial Experiment Station, which laid the foundation for the college’s current commitment to research. Dean Weil served until 1963.
Wayne H. Chen, who became dean in 1973, tripled enrollment and dramatically increased research funding during his 15-year tenure. Beginning in 1988, Dean Winfred Phillips led the College into a new era of expanded research programs and top-quality engineering education.
Pramod Khargonekar served as dean from 2001 until 2009. Under his leadership, the College created and subsequently named the J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering, established numerous research collaborations resulting in the creation of centers and institutes, and overhauled its distance-education programs with the launch of UF EDGE.
Led by Dean Cammy Abernathy since 2009, Gator Engineering is an interdisciplinary, collaborative research powerhouse committed to training the next generation of engineering leaders. Curricula are designed to produce highly skilled engineers and provide each student with a broad range of degree and career choices.