Before making a decision in which program you should participate, it is important to consider what type of program would fit you best. Each type of program has certain facets that make it different from other programs.
Below are some of the things that most students look for when choosing a program:
Location and language requirements
- Where do you want to go? Do you want to take classes in English or the local language?
Dates and Duration of the Program
- Fall, Spring, Spring Break, Summer A/B/C
- Check for conflicts with internships, research, family commitment, athletic commitment, scholarship requirements
Types of programs
UF Exchange Programs
UF Sponsored Programs
Enroll through UF
Semester program or full academic year; Some in summer. Language of instruction may or may not be English
Pays tuition directly to UF for all courses
Receives UF credits and calculated into GPA
A UF exchange student is often the only UF student participating in that exchange for that semester. Full immersion experience
Students make own living arrangements
Developed and taught by UF faculty, courses taught in English
Short-term programs – summer A/B/C, or spring break
In a group of other UF students
All living arrangements and activities are planned
Program fees billed by UFIC – covers tuition, insurance, housing, meals, excursions
Direct enroll with foreign institution
Affiliated Programs – Credits approved by your academic advisor will transfer upon receipt of your transcript. Check with your advisor whether the credits will go toward your degree.
Counts as transfer credits
There are many providers and programs out there. Always check with a study abroad advisor if the credits will transfer.
- Major classes, minor classes, technical electives, general education classes, language classes
Independent vs. Group Setting
- A UF exchange student is often the only UF student participating in that exchange for that semester and provides a full immersion experience
- A UF Sponsored Program in the summer is led by a UF Faculty and provides an all-inclusive experience for a group of UF students
- Non-UF programs can be independent or group programs
- It is important to know what your program fee includes prior to making a decision on your program as most programs will vary in price based on length, the number of courses, housing, insurance, etc.
Housing, Excursions, Meals, etc.
- Some programs will include many other things beyond your course fees. Make sure to examine the cost breakdown to see what all is included in your program fee and know what you may have to arrange on your own
You can now use the Study Abroad Planning worksheet to plan your study abroad!