International Engineering Ambassadors
The International Engineering Ambassadors (IEA) is a group of diverse students comprising engineering students at UF, both Americans and international, undergraduate and graduate, with a common goal: to promote the internationalization of Gator Engineering. IEAs at UF are young leaders who are globally-minded and culturally-aware who have a passion for promoting meaningful exchanges with people from a wide range of different cultures and traditions.
The IEA Program selects students based on its emphasis on developing cultural understanding, multilingualism, and global engagement across a broad range of subjects.
The roles of IEAs are multi-faceted. IEAs welcome new international students and help them adjust to life at University of Florida. They serve as peer mentors by assisting international students with their academic, cultural, and social adjustment to the United States and UF. In addition to that, IEAs who have had an international experience, such as study abroad, internship, research or service work in a foreign country assist the International Programs Coordinator in hosting info sessions regarding international opportunities and serve as academic and cultural advisors to students headed overseas. IEAs also frequently share their experiences abroad through info sessions, newsletters and peer advising.
The IEA position is a yearlong commitment. Applications are submitted at the beginning of the fall semester in August and continue throughout the academic year. A certificate of appreciation will be awarded to IEAs at a special ceremony at the end of the academic year.
International Engineering Ambassadors:
- Assists in planning and participates in the International Engineering Students orientation in August to welcome new international engineering students to UF. Responsibilities may include setting up event facilities, checking in students, giving a campus tour, hosting programs and workshops and assisting students with logistical questions
- Maintain contact with an assigned group of new international students throughout the year
- Assists in planning and participates in info sessions and study abroad fairs on international opportunities
- Provide mentoring and advice to students headed overseas. (IEAs will be paired with students headed to the same country or region.)
- Welcome CoE visitors, such as prospective international students or foreign representatives
- Provide feedback to USA staff on programs and student concerns
- Maintain good academic and disciplinary standing
- Fulfill responsibilities outlined above
- Students who have had an international experience or have a strong interest in international issues are highly encouraged to apply
- Well spoken, outgoing personality and natural leadership skills
- Intercultural competency, as demonstrated by international or cross cultural experiences
- International knowledge, as demonstrated by academic major or personal study
If you are interested in being part of this exciting new program, apply now!