Innovative Experiential Approach to Student Success
STEPUP takes an experiential learning approach that has been shown to provide numerous benefits including:
- accelerated learning,
- bridges the gap between theory and practice,
- enables personalized learning,
- produces demonstrable mindset changes,
- increases engagement.
The integration of project-based experiential learning is the perfect vehicle to deliver opportunities that enhance teamwork and leadership and to train students with what we term the Attributes of a Gator Engineer. It enables them to be socially conscious and to work with diverse people. Our faculty work on cutting-edge research problems in healthcare, energy, manufacturing, etc., and know that our students must be prepared to work across disciplines.
Performance of Participants
STEPUP participants embody the following metrics, which indicate the success of the program and we are proud to highlight:
- UF students participating in STEPUP over the past 28 years have had an average retention rate of 85%.
- On average, 20% or more STEPUP participants successfully attain experiential learning opportunities in the form of internships, research engagement, etc., during their freshman and/or sophomore years within the college.
- At least 90% or more of program participants report feeling better informed and prepared for their first fall semester at UF based on their summer academic, professional, and personal development experience within the program.