Many people think that studying abroad is beyond their reach because it is too expensive. But if proper planning and research is done beforehand, the cost of studying abroad may not cost more than spending a semester in Gainesville. There are ways to finance your experience through financial aid, and/or scholarships.
You can be eligible for financial aid for study abroad for all types of programs. For UF students, a budget with cost of program will be sent to Student Financial Affairs after completing Financial Aid questionnaire during online application.
- Florida Bright Futures
- For fall, spring and academic year programs
- Now available for summer term!
- Florida Prepaid
- All semesters, including summer
- UF Scholarships
- Federal grants and loans
Office for Student Financial Affairs strongly encourages visiting the SFA study abroad financial aid adviser to explore your funding options.
Information on study abroad and financial aid can be found at: http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/process/additional-information/study-abroad/
- The Sones Scholarship
- To provide an opportunity for UF students to earn academic credit towards their degree in an environment which also provides immersion in French culture and/or language.
- UF International Center Scholarships
- Students studying for a semester or academic year on either a UF Sponsored or UF Approved program.
- UFIC Summer Scholarships
- Students who are attending UF Sponsored summer programs
- UFIC Summer Merit Scholarships
- Attending UF Sponsored or UF Approved Summer programs
- Wentworth Honors Scholarships
- Designated for Honors students
- Learning without Borders Study Abroad Scholarship
- Scholarships will be awarded to students who are Pell Grant recipients attending UF Sponsored summer programs.
- To be considered, eligible students should select “Pell Grant recipient” in the drop-down menu within the UFIC Summer Scholarship application.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
- Open to US citizen undergraduate students
- Gilman-McCain Scholarship
- The Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs
- Open to eligible students (U.S. citizens only) enrolled at accredited U.S. colleges and universities who receive any type of Title IV federal financial aid.
- Institute of International Education (IIE) Study Abroad Funding
- Hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals
- Provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.
- Preference will be given to students who participate in language study that will enhance their ability to engage with the host culture.
- Asia Institute International Engineering Program Scholarships
- Scholarships of $1000 to engineering students participating in a global learning opportunity in Asia
- Can be short-term program, semester/year abroad, international research, or international internship in Asia.
- Diversity Abroad Summer Scholarship
- The Diversity Abroad Network “Diversity Network” will offer summer scholarships in the amount of $1,000 for full-time undergraduate students attending a member institution.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Scholarship for study or research in Germany
- Germany Universities of Applied Sciences (UAS7)
- Scholarships for study or internships in Germany in Berlin, Bremen, Cologne, Hamburg, Munich, Münster, and Osnabrück.
- BUTEX Scholarship
- For study in the United Kingdom at one of the member universities: List of Members
- UF partners: Cardiff University, University of Leeds, University of Leicester, University of Sheffield,
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Eligible student must be US citizen or PR
- Must be applying for a study abroad program eligible for UF credit for more than 4 weeks
- Database of study abroad scholarships
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- FGS invites applications from any level of student with a 2.5+ GPA who is planning to participate in a program abroad, including for a short-term/summer, semester, or year abroad, or a service-learning, internship, or research experience.
- In addition to the general Foundation for Global Scholars Scholarship, the Foundation awards Financial Need Scholarships (for Pell Grant recipients), STEM Scholarships (for students majoring in the sciences, technology, engineering, or math), and Ethnically Diverse Student Scholarships. Application does not require letters of recommendation, just one essay.
- H. J. Klein Foundation
- The objective of the H. J. Klein Foundation is to sponsor international exchange by granting scholarships to students for a stay abroad. Support is granted to students of all specialist fields who have shown proven commitment/ involvement in fostering international exchange
- Program duration: 1 semester, max 1 year
*The list of external scholarship opportunities is not endorsed by the college or university. Students are strongly encouraged to do their own research and planning.