Many people think that studying abroad is beyond their reach because it is too expensive. But if proper planning and research is done beforehand, the cost of studying abroad may not cost more than spending a semester in Gainesville. There are ways to finance your experience through financial aid, and/or scholarships.
You can be eligible for financial aid for study abroad for all types of programs. For UF students, a budget with cost of program will be sent to Student Financial Affairs after completing Financial Aid questionnaire during online application.
- Florida Bright Futures
- For fall, spring and academic year programs
- Summer programs
- Florida Prepaid
- All semesters, including summer
- UF Scholarships
- Federal grants and loans
Office for Student Financial Affairs strongly encourages visiting the SFA study abroad financial aid adviser to explore your funding options.
Information on study abroad and financial aid can be found at: http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/process/additional-information/study-abroad/
UF International Center Scholarships
- The Sones Scholarship
- To provide an opportunity for UF students to earn academic credit towards their degree in an environment which also provides immersion in French culture and/or language.
- UF International Center Scholarships
- Students studying for a semester or academic year on either a UF Sponsored or UF Approved program.
- UFIC Summer Scholarships
- Students who are attending UF Sponsored summer programs
- UFIC Summer Merit Scholarships
- Attending UF Sponsored or UF Approved Summer programs
- Wentworth Honors Scholarships
- Designated for Honors students
- Herbert Wertheim Engineering Scholarships
- Students studying abroad who are in the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering are eligible for this award (up to $1,000). Please note that if you are studying on a Spring Break or Spring Short-Term program, you will need to apply under our “Spring” scholarship application and adhere to its corresponding deadline. Visit the International Engineering website for more information.
- Learning without Borders Study Abroad Scholarship
- Scholarships will be awarded to students who are Pell Grant recipients attending UF Sponsored summer programs.
- To be considered, eligible students should select “Pell Grant recipient” in the drop-down menu within the UFIC Summer Scholarship application.
Learn more about the UFIC Scholarship Application Process
Gerald R. Kunde, II Study Abroad Scholarships
The Gerald R. Kunde, II Study Abroad Scholarship at the Center for European Studies is a merit and need based initiative designed to provide critical financial support to undergraduate students to enable them to pursue summer study abroad and experiential learning in Europe. Applicants may be from any discipline, but the study abroad program must take place in Europe. Programs with clear experiential learning components will be prioritized.
- UF students selected to participate in a summer UF study abroad program in Europe.
- Minimum 6-week program
- Demonstrated financial need
Students from non-traditional majors and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. The Gerald R. Kunde, II Study Abroad Scholarship will provide (3) $2,000 awards to assist undergraduates participating in study abroad programs in Europe.
Scholarship recipients are required to submit a post-program blog including a short description of your experience, benefits you gained from the program, and photos. Blogs will be featured on the Gerald R. Kunde, II Study Abroad Scholarship webpage and CES website.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
- Open to US citizen undergraduate students
- Gilman-McCain Scholarship
- The Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs
- Open to eligible students (U.S. citizens only) enrolled at accredited U.S. colleges and universities who receive any type of Title IV federal financial aid.
- Institute of International Education (IIE) Study Abroad Funding
- Hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals
- Provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.
- Preference will be given to students who participate in language study that will enhance their ability to engage with the host culture.
- Asia Institute International Engineering Program Scholarships
- Scholarships of $1000 to engineering students participating in a global learning opportunity in Asia
- Can be short-term program, semester/year abroad, international research, or international internship in Asia.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Scholarship for study or research in Germany
- BUTEX Scholarship
- For study in the United Kingdom at one of the member universities: List of Members
- UF partners: Cardiff University, University of Leeds, University of Leicester, University of Sheffield,
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Eligible student must be US citizen or PR
- Must be applying for a study abroad program eligible for UF credit for more than 4 weeks
- Database of study abroad scholarships
- H. J. Klein Foundation
- The objective of the H. J. Klein Foundation is to sponsor international exchange by granting scholarships to students for a stay abroad. Support is granted to students of all specialist fields who have shown proven commitment/ involvement in fostering international exchange
- Program duration: 1 semester, max 1 year
*The list of external scholarship opportunities is not endorsed by the college or university. Students are strongly encouraged to do their own research and planning.