RWTH Aachen Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) is designed for students from North American universities who wish to gain research experience by conducting research projects at RWTH Aachen University. It takes place during a ten-week research summer school between the middle of May and the end of July.
Course Programs and Credits
UROP International consists of three components: a research project at one of RWTH Aachen’s research institutes or labs is at the core.
Additionally, students are offered a comprehensive accompanying program: an intensive German course and workshops on intercultural learning, scientific methods, and research practice to prepare them for their respective research project.
UF students will receive the following academic credits:
- EGN 4912 Undergraduate research – 3 UF credits
- GER 4956 German – 3 UF credits
UROP International in Detail
The program’s duration is ten weeks. The first week is dedicated to a Fit for UROP workshop, introducing participants to research and culture, as well as to an intercultural training, which allows the students to gain an initial impression of German culture and informs about intercultural differences. Moreover, the first week is used to settle organizational issues and to make students familiar with RWTH Aachen University and with life in Aachen. Each student is assigned a RWTH student, who serves as a buddy and mentor during the first steps in Aachen.
From the second week to the end of the program, students work on their research project full time. The German language course starts during the first week and ends at the end of the eighth week. It takes place twice a week in the morning.
The program is supplemented by numerous leisure activities and excursions with the buddies.
All communication is in English.
Students will receive a certificate for both their research project and the language class upon successful completion of the program, marked by the submission of a report and participation in the closing UROP Symposium, where students present project results as part of a research conference. A total of 60 students can annually participate in UROP International.
Application fee: $425
Tuition: UF tuition based on residency for 6 credits
Housing: Typically 220 and 300 Euros a month
Students selected by UF will be eligible for a scholarship of 1,850 Euros to cover living expenses during the program in Aachen.
- UF engineering students with GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Preferably sophomore and up at the time of application
- German language skills are not required to participate. Based on your German skills, you will be assigned to an appropriate German class
- Student Arrival Date: Friday, May 13, 2022
- First day of Program: Monday, May 16, 2022
- Last day of Program: Friday, July 22, 2022
- Program Duration: 10 weeks
- Identify two projects that matches your interest and eligibility: Database of project
- Complete UF International Center Application by January 10.
- Complete RWTH Aachen application form with the following supporting documents in one PDF file and email to email@example.com by January 10.
- Statement of motivation – one for each project selected
- Academic transcript
- Letter of recommendation by a faculty member (can be sent separately to the email above)